It's somewhat amazing to think as I'm writing this that we're nearing the end of the "planning" portion. I mean, yes we've already started the construction process but it's all been the upfront work that we had to do anyway regardless of what final details made their way into the house...but at this meeting I realized that we're nearly done with the sketching and the drawing and the layout fiddling.
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
Today's meeting was mostly about puzzling over some of the final details. The house itself is basically done and this was primarily to run through the last few requests we'd made and to confirm a couple of sequencing issues on construction. The first topic of discussion was to ensure that the transverse beam connecting the masonry heater to the house proper had been added to the construction plans. This was an issue caught by Builder Dale in his review of the plans a couple of weeks back that we'd all somehow missed. After all, if the masonry heater stack is going to compose part of the support for the library, it would probably be a good idea if it were physically tied to the foundation so that if Tanglewood should happen to shift it moves as one unit with the house. Otherwise you could very easily end up with a tilting "Tower of Pisa" look and a dangerous pile of brick and rock towering over your living room! Scott had indeed integrated the new transverse beam (basically another footer running under the fireplace from one side of the living room to the other) and it looked like it had always belonged there.
Next up was a quick walkthrough how we probably want to sequence the pouring of the Buildblock walls vs. the pouring of the LiteDeck proper. While it will ultimately be up to Builder Dale Scott had a couple of thoughts about how things would probably be ordered--footers first of course, then the underlayment insulation and the the radiant heat (Colleen and I get to do this!), then the foundation slab, then the main backfill against the exterior. After that things should go more rapidly.
We wound down with a quick walkthrough of some of the "soft" internal stuff I'd done earlier--wiring, electrical outlets, gas lines, that kind of thing--and I got a homework assignment to go over these particular drawings one last time to see if there were any last minute additions or changes. In the meantime Architect Scott will be finalizing the primary construction blueprints and getting ready to turn them over to Builder Dale as part of his final walkthrough and so he can work with the construction loan appraiser so they can do their magic.
Lastly I just updated Scott on what Colleen and Dale had been up to with the excavation and additional tree removals. He was very glad to hear that the major excavation work was finally done...it's been a long time coming with the various rain delays but we're finally ready to move forward!
This is all so danged fun!
Steven in Colorado Springs