The past two weeks have been relatively slow… Rhiannon and I were both out of town for conferences. That on top of several other circumstances has made it a trying time. That said, I am determined to keep this train on the tracks.
Given that we are building on our own dime for the beginning, we are limited on what we can complete this fall. We’ll do what we can and use the cold winter months to plan. I realize there could be some monetary gain available by utilizing the contractor down time of the winter, but I just don’t know if our budget can handle multiple large projects at once, and I am not prepared to submit a builder loan application right now.
So, what have I accomplished?
· The test holes for the soil testing have been completed and the septic design will be completed this upcoming week.
· The house plan has been settled on and purchased. We stuck with our gut feeling and bought the ones we fell in love with in the beginning… upstairs laundry be damned. For those interested, it’s a Frank Betz design named Surrey.
· The County has approved our zoning variance and we can, once the septic is designed, apply for the septic/well permit.
What do I plan on accomplishing this fall?
· Develop a “master plan” for the property. I will be working with a civil engineering friend to do this. Mainly, locate the house, driveway and shop. This is something that I feel I can do myself but I really don’t want there to be any issues.
· Build the metal shop building. I’ll be doing this myself, so it will be a month-long project.
· Dig the well.
This doesn’t seem like a lot, but a whole bunch all at the same time. I’ll keep you posted.
Login to Reply