With summer past us and fall well upon us, it's a bit easier to dig outdoor now. Because of this (and because I'd really like to get one of my garage bays back), I figured it was finally time to start installing some drain.
I had started this
project literally years ago, when I started gathering socked
drainpipe (i.e., pipe that is in a cloth tube to prevent dirt and
stuff from getting into the pipe to plug it up) for this project.
I'd amassed some 1900 feet of it (19 rools of 100' pipe) over the
course of far too many trips to Home Depot. It all got stacked up in
Garage Bay #3, and I even rented a small backhoe to start the
Then two things
happened that changed a bit of direction in my plans. The first was
we had a HUGE rainstorm, the gutters plugged up an filled the window
well, and water seeped down into the apartment. That was indeed
unfortunate, and in the aftermath of the cleanup I found a different
approach than I’d originally planned. The plan was to install a
drain and run pipe under the window well to handle any overflow; with
the gutter inserts I installed they no longer can get plugged. SO….I
had a whole lot of pipe and deferred installing it a bit for other,
more pressing matters.
And then of course
the second was my downtime at the hospital, that basically screwed up
all of my plans there for close to a year. Very annoying, that.
SO…..now that the
chandelier is up I looked at my list of Projects in Waiting and
decided this was one I could get started on. The weather right now
is just about perfect---warm during the days, cool at night, easy to
dig the foot or so down I’ll need to get the pipe run. Some of the
pipe I will simply bury, other sections I’ll leave open and put
rock on top so water can run down into the pipe and away.
I got the first bit
of work done by clearing out all of the sticker weeds and raspberry
bushes that had basically enveloped the apartment end of the house so
I could start running the pipe. Got rid of a lot
of weeds that were in the way and deposited them down the road where
they might (hopefully) take root and provide some good cover for that
It’s a start at
least. Clearing out all of the weeds took most of the weekend but
I’m now ready to start laying down the pipe….that’s the plan
anyway. I don’t think I’ll like get it all in before winter
shows up to mess up my plans, but at least I’ll get part of it
After that I mostly assessed what needed to be done and started positioning pipe and whatnot, thinking through how the network of drainage pipes will connect to each other. There's a lot of digging ahead...
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|A shot of the area towards the back of the house, looking generically uphill.|