Well it certainly took a much longer time than I'd thought it would, but I finally got the Arlington FB-900 down and got a good gander what's up there. Found some good news too.
I got the screws out holding the Arlington into place and figured at that point it would be easy to drop it down. Turned out to be a lot harder than I'd expected--it was definitely loose but I couldn't easily pull it down. I tried for a solid hour, pushing and pulling it, double checking there weren't any other fasteners holding it up, comparing it against the one I'd bought on Amazon.
After a good lunch and a couple of other minor chores, I decided there was nothing at all "extra" holding it up....I just had to pull more harder. So I got a pair of vice grips, gave it a good yank--and that worked! Out came the Arlington!
And as suspected there wasn't anything holding it up at all, it was just pretty tight.
Once I got it down I dumped out the debris inside it (lots of mouse droppings, dead moths, etc.) and set it down next to the new one (picture below). They were identical which was more or less as expected, but I had concerns that a newer model might be different. At least they weren't.
Looking up into the hole I made a pleasant surprise. The builders put a 2x6 across the rafters rather than the 2x4 that the instructions actually called for--this is good as it's heavier duty and less likely to have any issues. I was duly impressed.
A minor minus however--I'd already bought lag bolts (in the picture below the Arlingtons) for 6" holes, since I thought that would be long enough to get thru the stud and anchor the chandelier from the top. Since the cross-beam is a 2x6 I'll need to go get some longer lag bolts (8")….so it's Home Depot for me tomorrow!
Still it's all good. I'd much rather do it right and if that takes more time, so be it!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|The new Arlington is on the left, the old one on the right. The lag bolt (too short now) is below.|