Things move slowly during the winter months, which is just the way it is. I have tried to keep busy, though nothing seemed worthy of a post all by itself. I thought maybe today I might catch up a few items:
- The most annoying thing is probably that one of my three charge controllers seems dead, while another seems to be malfunctioning. Charge Controller #2 shows it's getting current but not a thing is going into the batteries as amperage according to the monitoring tool. And then just for fun, Charge Controller #1 seems to be completely "frozen"--it doesn't respond to button presses or resets at all. To add icing onto the cake it does actually do its thing, but apparently it has lost its internal upper amperage limit--it hits the 80A limitation on the hardware and trips the breaker. Happens most sunny days ~10:00 AM....danged annoying.
This means right now I'm running Tanglewood on one good and one semi-good charge controller.
Yes, Solar LeRoy has been summoned! More soon I hope.
- I finally started sorting and evaluating all of the furniture I inherited from Colleen's grandmother (she passed away just under two years ago). First up was an older dresser, rather smaller than I would like for just about anything. I had considered simply donating to the local ARC but there was simply no way I was going to wish it on anybody while it was still that hideous lime-green shade that for some reason was popular in the 1970s. It's received two coats of the Special Walnut shade I used on the door and now that I have some more rollers I'll work on trying to finish it more properly. After THAT it may still be donated rather than find a place here at Tanglewood, but at least it won't be lime-green! *shudder*
- Work on the chandelier has been proceeding. I took down all of the weights that I left up there as a test after a couple of weeks and proceeded to thread the eye-hook through the fan mount that will hold everything. And that's when I ran into a problem...it turned out the eye-hook I had wasn't quite long enough to pass through the downrod. Well dang it.....
I fetched a slightly longer one this afternoon while running around and hopefully will finish what I started tomorrow. Assuming I have all of the weight-supporting hardware in place, I can then test how big a housing I need to cover everything up to make it pretty (of course the housing/base that was with the original ceiling fan went with it when I gave it away).
- Since the weather was decidedly unpleasant and the stain I'd applied to the afore-mentioned dresser was in the process of drying I decided to get some more curtains up. I'd been wanting to get proper curtains along the upper hallway for a while--both they and the curtain rods had been mocking me every time I walked by them--so I gave in and took a couple of hours to put everything up. Now that there are curtains I can finish hanging up pictures along that hallway as well, which is a plus.
That's more or less what I've been doing over the last couple of weeks, that and sussing out that there was in fact a problem with some of the solar equipment anyway. But it's all progress, and it's all goodly!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|Snapshot from one end of the hallway....||
|...and then again from the other end. I guess in retrospect I probably should have turned those lights on....|