Well dang....didn't quite expect this per se, but in retrospect I realize I should have.
I'd done yeoman's work collecting and settin
g out all of the potential rock for finishing the door and was anxious to start the work mortaring it all up. Unfortunately I quickly ran into a minor problem--but fortunately
I also had a solution nearby!
So there I was, standing on the porch and pondering how I'd be installing that rock. The best ladder I had for that is a 12 foot job that works quite well, but I realized I was looking at a heck of a lot of up and down climbing. LOTS of climbing. Over and over and over. As I pondered this, my knees provided a warning throb just to remind me I was there....
But then I realized I had a solution! I'd bought 18 feet of scaffolding towards the end of 2016 when I thought I'd be working on the chandelier that winter! The scaffolding came in three 6 foot sections (intended ultimately to be stacked when working high up with the chandelier), but a single section should be just about exactly the right height. I'd been side-lined by some health problems during the subsequent winter of 2016/2017, and by the time I got back on my feet last year I was only focusing on things that I'd let slide for far too long. As a result that scaffolding had just been sitting there in the corner of the garage, where (I discovered shortly) spiders had woven huge webs in and around the boxes.
So I spent some quality time building one set of the scaffolding, and (of course) it took most of the day to do that. These parts are heavy and they weren't quite as easy to sort out as I'd assumed given that I'd bought three identical boxes. As I unpacked them I discovered that these pieces of equipment were much heavier and well constructed than I'd assumed....this made me happy, as they should serve me well down the road when I'm working on the chandelier.
So basically it took me all day to put this thing together, between finding the right pieces, moving the rock I'd sorted out yesterday, and disposing of all of the packing (there was a lot of carboard and paper padding). But I got it, and now I've got myself a solid platform to do all of the work I need to do next.
Slowly but surely, it's getting there!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|The scaffold! Quite nice I think.||
|Very solidly built and good pins throughout...I'm pretty pleased with this whole thing.|