Huzzah! It's fixed!
When last we met I expressed my great annoyance that my system was leaking again rather steadily
after just a couple of days....so much so that I had to shut the whole thing off.
Today I got Radiant Adam up here again to fixalate this thing once and for all. I had pondered on the whole thing for the last couple of days and wondered what might have caused the leak...why it was okay for a day or so and then got steadily worse. Before he got there, I had recalled that he had not replaced a washer in the glycol unit....a union where the pipe comes down from the rest of the house back into the boiler. I knew from prior experience with plumbing of various kinds that one should always replace these things if there's an opportunity to do so....they get "set" with pipes in a definite configuration and putting them back together again wouldn't always ensure the same "set" as one might have hoped.
Long story short, that's exactly what it was! It was a bit worse than I'd thought though because I hadn't accounted for the heat of the boiler....over the last 8-ish years the washer in question had gotten very "brittle". NOT so brittle that it wouldn't bend, really, but vastly less supple than it was supposed to be. Radiant Adam popped it all out, made his own washer/gasket with his own sheet of material (this allows shops to make custom washers on the spot), got everything all hooked up and then repressurized the system one more time (air had gotten in while doing all this).
And now, it's done.
Looking at it I do see there is a very tiny leak around the pressure release valve at the top of the boiler. I'm not really sure why that would be other than something thinking the pressure it too high, but nothing on the gauge seems to bear that out. If I had to make a guess myself there might be an air bubble in it, maybe? I'm going to give it some time to let it work its way out.
Going forward I'm definitely going to get one of these glycol makeup
systems. Radiant Adam was amazed that the original installers had not put one in originally and he definitely felt I should have one. Given the size of the system he said that loss due to leakage was just about going to be inevitable (although oddly enough I've not seen any leaks at all other than around the boiler itself). I've added to my "get soon" list, so it'll definitely happen.
Still this is all good. Now that I've got this silliness finished with I can get back to finishing up the door. I need to get the concrete siding up next and figure out what I'm going to do with the casing around the door; I've got some ideas, just have to make some measurements.
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply