It's a bit since I updated much regarding the door, which is definitely all on me. I plead too many side chores and boiler issues.
The inside of the door--the drywall around it--is in and ready to be taped up. I was planning to work on the outside of the door next, then tape up both sides.
I finally realized that part of the reason I was moving so slowly was that I didn't like the way I would have to put up the trim around the door. The ETO people gave me two different types of trim, a fancy wide trim and an less fancy but narrower trim. From the way the door is installed the thinner trim is the way to go, but even then there were problems. The door turns out to be slightly "fluted", so the top of the arch is slightly narrower than the top. This is turn means that a relatively "deep" wall (all ICF remember) makes me unable to have the trim nailed up to the surrounding wall at the top....either I have to build up the wall to match the top of the arch or I have to put in most of the trim one way and the arch another. After much thought, I decided on the latter.
I haven't deeply examined the exterior yet, but I assume there will be similar issues when I get to it.
Now I have to redo the exterior drywall. I might decide to replace it with concrete board or, since the door is well set back into a porch might forgo that. The biggest issue will be making sure there's a strong foundation around the door (lathing and wood bracing) to hold the stone that will eventually be there. I'm pretty sure what I have now might hold up to the stucco but would not work very well with a tougher lattice work first.
So things are moving slowly, but they are moving!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply