Getting up this morning I was in the mood to get some of the "smaller" chores that had been piling up around the house. There are always things like that, not quite large enough to dedicate a full day to them but which still needed doing. That's what I decided to tackle today.
My original plan had been to take the opportunity to move the remaining ICF from the shed up into the garage, but the higher winds whipping thru the canyon made that a poor choice. So I decided to pull up the raspberry canes that had infested the area down along the driveway instead.
Right off the bat I was in for a pleasant surprise....the recent rain had left the ground very soft, and so rather than wrestling with the canes I was able to more easily pull them out root and all. That in turn was very good news since that mean there would be a minimum of regrowth from roots I left in the ground; if I was able to pull them up completely they'd have to recolonize rather than just regrow.
Working my way down the road I found all kinds of bits of old concrete and some old pieces of Styrofoam from the build, both of which required collecting up more 5 gallon buckets to gather properly gather each for disposal. I eventually decided on dedicating 5 buckets to gathering up the raspberry canes and reserve two others for collecting old concrete for recycling. My plan is to take everything down next week at some point; by then I'll have gathered enough Styrofoam and concrete to justify a trip into town.
As I worked my way down the driveway I ran across a large cardboard box...well, what was left of a cardboard box. Turned out this was what the rock facing on Tanglewood itself came in, and somehow they'd left a box of it stashed semi-under the porch during the finish up. So I fished it out, tossed the remaining cardboard scraps and 2x4s into the trash, and took time to sort out the useful rock. I got a fair amount of whole pieces and about double that in cut pieces; the whole ones I plan to use around the door in the finishing step of its installation later this summer. That interlude took a couple of hours interspersed with pulling raspberry canes.
By the time the day was done I was too, that's for sure. Lots of back and forth trudging up and down the driveway today. Still, it was a good day--I got the raspberries cleared out from part of the front of the house, collected some more bad concrete and waste Styrofoam for disposal, and unexpectedly just about tripled my available facing rock for ultimate use on the door!
A goodly day overall, I'm calling it!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply