We rented a scissor lift again to get the framing done between the roof trusses. We put the purlins on top of the trusses instead of cutting and placing them between the trusses. I thought we were saving time but now looking back I wish we had taken the time to cut them exact and place them in-between the trusses. The things you learn after doing it one time. We used the piles of left over 2x6 boards that had been trimmed for the framing on the walls to fit exact and used them like tabs up between the two trusses attached to each post. The problem was small pieces of 2x6 aren't that strong when getting hit by nail guns and have a tendency to split, which makes them worthless and have to be redone. When your redoing say 1 out of every 6-7, its a time suck and slows everything done. The time redoing we could have just been cutting and doing it the more proper way.
There is a photo before back-filling dirt against the block walls; we coated the walls with asphalt waterproofing and then stuck a thick plastic sheet against that all the way around the wall, overlapping any seems. Its been almost 2 years and the walls are completely dry still.
Once we got the dirt back against the wall, we could move the tractor in close to the roof so we could get the sheathing more easily up on the roof. That started off a wee bit scary but once you have a few boards in place, it starts going faster and faster. I can say I am much better now with lining the lines printed on the boards with the framing members underneath so you are nailing against hard surface. Practice makes perfect. And yes, we didn't stagger the sheets because of the way they were lining up with the purlins, it didn't matter if we staggered or not.
We put 2 foot eves on both sides and the front. The back of the barn where there are no windows or doors we flushed the edge smooth to the back wall.
Login to Reply