With the first portion of driveway done, we moved the RV out of storage and out onto the property. Initially we kept it on the driveway and slowly realized we could drive it basically anywhere over the smoother grass sections so it ended up parked on a little dirt pad we dug out off to the side of the driveway. The dirt was just grass/roots cleared so it didn't up circled by tall grass. It also helped I think to keep the field mice out of it. We did get one on-board that thought the engine bay by the tail lights was a good place to make a nest, not! I think we carried another in to town that found his way into the garage of the house from the RV parked out front. We just leave traps around now all the time and don't worry about it much.
Next up was getting the well in. In our area, the 2 main well drillers are related but very different family members. It was confusing at first which one we were talking to since their last names are the same. Very different how they run their businesses though. The bids were within $700 of each other, so we went with the less expensive one.
Given we didn't have electricity yet, nor any structures for a pump house yet, the contractor put the control box on a stake next to the well head and gave us a hose bib next to that. The conversation was he would come back once we had a structure and power so he could put in a tank and complete the work as bid. He was not very happy when we paid his invoice -10% for a contract completion hold-back. They tried to convince us that people normally pay the whole bill and they come back later, and we tried to convince them that 10 percent hold back would be normal for work not complete as well. They never came back out once we were ready; we never paid the last 10 percent. I used the money to get a bigger pressure tank that was specified and spent just about the rest in getting the water lines all done how I wanted them (outside bib on the barn, additional lines run, etc)
The nitty gritty on the well is its drilled to 160 feet, water level is 140, we got a little bacteria on the first water test but after running the water on the plants and such for a while, the next test came back clear.
Oh, and an interesting point to make. There is actually city water line along the paved road in front of our lot. We decided to have a well drilled instead because of the hookup fee the city wanted otherwise. We're not in the city but the city extended their water lines out to the neighborhood we're connected to, but the connection fee we calculated out to be over 20K because of the shape of our lot and how they calculate the dollars based on frontage. We figured cheaper in the long run to have an endless supply of water if you will, without the forced chlorination, for half the price instead.
Login to Reply