After a bit of a sideling from last week (a bit of bad weather combined with too many other chores) I was finally able to pick up where I left things last time around
With much of the "messier" stuff, Styrofoam and the like, all cleaned up and properly disposed of it was time to tackle the biggest thing in the garage--dealing with all of the socked and coiled PVC drainpipe that's been camping out for a year and a half.
Back in the summer of 2015 I started buying rolls of socked (encased in cloth to keep dirt from trickling down into a pipe to block it up) PVC pipe at the local Home Depot. The rolls are 100 feet when unrolled, and are sold in coils that are roughly 5 feet across and 3 feet tall. The local store usually only has ONE of these puppies at the store at any one time (I assume there are a couple more in the back room somewhere), and some back-of-the-envelope calculations showed that I needed ~2200 feet of pipe on both sides of the road from one end of the property line to the other. Simple math showed me that with100 feet per roll, I'd need about 22 rolls. So I started buying it when I was in town and near the store, stacking up in the garage gradually over the summer.
Unfortunately winter 2015/2016 came before I got to the project and by then the garage was already in a bit of a mess, so I tabled buying more pipe at that time. Then in the spring of 2017 I had three things that took my time and attention--my unexpected illness, the replacement of all of the charge controllers, and then the race towards finishing up the door. Got the charge controllers done okay, but I didn't quite make it to the end before finishing up the door.....so then things got cold.
So here we are with the Garage Cleanout. I got the basics of the garage cleaned up enough to move around in, and so the next step was getting all that pipe under control.
Much of the cleanup was moving boards and other types of PVC pipe (plumbing fixtures, that kind of thing) into their proper places. The boards are mostly pieces of 2x4s, 2x6s, and 2x8s that are in good condition and shouldn't just be burned, so I had to find a place to stack them. All of that took a part of the day, but at least by the end of the day I could see how I could start moving, stacking, and re-ordering all that pipe.
That's tomorrow....but progress IS being made!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply