It's taken months to get to this point. The designer has my excel spreadsheet made floor plan and is working on a preliminary design for us to look at and place things like windows and doors.
Let's back up though. Originally we thought we would be renovating an existing structure but every GC we talked to said it would be a better idea to tear down and start new. We are now also not sharing this house with anyone in the future it will be our forever home and that changes things a little.
So we've decided to stick with the original size of 30x60 but adding on a garage in the back and a 4' x 25' bump out in the front to make space for the living/kitchen/dining "great room" as I will call it. We're now option for a basement under the center of the house (the great room) and doing slabs on the wings of the house where the bedrooms/bathrooms will be. This will allow us to put our utility generators in the basement and run the ductwork (if we go with ductwork) from there.
We definitely want solar at this point but as for the rest of the HVAC system, we haven't made any final decisions and want to explore all options.
I'm about to start a budget spreadsheet because once the design is complete, I can finally start to get some bids and also start the permitting process. One minor sticking point that is unconfirmed at this point is that the permit office needs a license number/insurance proof of the GC, so I'm curious how that will play out. I've been reading in the book about the insurance options to use and will dig deeper into that as we get into the permitting.
Anyway, that's the update for now.. trying to be patient with our designer. It's been months since my last update and the anticipation is killing me, I want to get to work!
Login to Reply