Well spring arrived on the calendar nearly a week ago. We seemed to have been having spring the previous month with temps in the 50's and lately the upper 60's. The only snow left was the drift on the north side of the house where the roof shedded onto the stack of metal roofing laid out on the ground. Already talking to the roofer about schedule to finish the roof. Was dry enough to drive the truck up and around back there to unload on the third level and then - we get nearly a foot of snow Thursday night with quite a bit more in the forecast for the next week! What happened?! And we had gotten used to working in shirt sleeves again! Blah! So much for getting started early on the stucco.
Speaking of which, the fourth quote came back Friday and we have a decision to make. Prices ranged by nearly 40% so it's a clear example of the benefit of getting multiple quotes. One company bid within 10% of the lowest bid, but they were from Santa Fe and I'd have to arrange housing at an additional cost of $4000. That beings them up to 20% more. The upside to them is I think they'd do a bang up job, they would put eight people on it and get it done in 6 weeks. I've got to talk to the lowest priced guy and see what his people situation is. I've gotten good reviews on him from a contractor he does work for locally.
Now the sheetrock quotes were even more surprising. Same group of companies. There was a 100% difference in price. Two were within 5%, one was within 50%, and the last was twice what the two lower bids were. It was soooo far out of what my previous experience was at the Mutton Busting and Barrel Race projects, that I have to scratch my head. And they were the company that was 20% more on the stucco, so why 100% on the drywall? Sometimes I think that because of the size of the house, people think that money is no object, but of course that's not true. If it was, why are Sandra and I busting our butts, working 60 hour weeks on the project?
So I've got some questions to ask and some decisions to make as the stucco guys can begin setting lath even if it's too cold to begin the cement. And I can get the drywall guy to do the stairwell and elevator shaft long before the rest of the house which is how it was presented to all four companies.
Other updates - the final garage door is finally working!! Six months after we received them. The door guy came out on Thursday and set the new set of springs for it. As you recall, we had issues with the springs that the door manufacturer sent. And then when he went to assemble the last door on his last trip, we found out that we were missing the coupling for the shaft. So it's been a long road. I still need to set the opener, but after two of them, I've gotten pretty proficient at that. BTW, regarding openers - because they are high lift door tracks ( go all the way to the 12' ceiling) a direct coupled opener is required. But I suggest anyone to consider using a direct drive even on a regular track door that has torsion springs. They are more expensive at $300, but so easy to install, don't have belts or chains, no separate track, and quiet, quiet, quiet.
Beginning to see the light on the drain piping. Started the last two baths. They connect to the main drain at the very end. Then slowly work my way backwards to connect the other levels into main line and maintain the correct fall. It is conceivable I could finish the drain lines this week! Then tie the vents together which will take time but be so much easier.
Sandra will finish running the scrap foam in the next day or two. She's in the garage level now, and surprisingly we are just about out of scrap. The huge piles we had, have been whittled down. Don't plan to get anymore foam to finish the garage. All the other sections are well below grade, and don't need any further R value. It is a garage after all.
Login to Reply