Well, it's been a heck of a long time coming but I finally made the final installation this evening. The last of the fluorescent bulbs in the house have been replaced with LEDs.
It's been a long time coming. I started first with swapping out the chandelier bulbs in my master bedroom ceiling fan way back in 2011
, but I didn't really start upgrading them much in earnest until mid 2015
. It took a long time for me to find a combination of bulb price, bulb performance (mostly brightness), and bulb availability. I also discovered rather by accident that dimmable bulbs were not
a good choice for Tanglewood, because of variations in voltage levels when the generator was running.
Eventually I ran across two good sources: Amazon had a fine brand of bulbs from AriusTek
that I rather liked, and Wal Mart greatly
expanded their selection of LED bulbs with both dimmable and non-dimmable options.
There were stumbling blocks along the way of course. AriusTek changed their technology just before I need one more set of 10 bulbs and once they did restart their production the new bulbs weren't as bright. I had some trouble with finding the last set of bulbs--the fluorescent tube light replacements--but eventually found some nicely bright ones that involved only a little bit of re-wiring (I had to snip out the ballasts). They were pricey though and of course I didn't have any to test cheaply--the smallest order was four bulbs--so that part was a bit of a shot in the dark. I was very pleased with them though, so I quickly ordered four more sets (four sets in that garage plus another set for the apartment kitchen).
The last bulb was actually one I'd forgotten. There was a heat lamp of all things that they had put into a fitting over the upstairs fireplace, using a slightly smaller can light. Fortunately Wal Mart had exactly the right one to replace it with.
The fluorescent types of bulbs mostly went to the local county recycler. A couple of boxes went to my sister back in Missouri to replace her standard incandescent bulbs (after all they're better energy wise), and one box was taken as a donation at a recycling building materials place (probably by accident in retrospect).
But it's done. All 255 bulbs (I counted) have been replaced.
So mote it be.
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply