Okay, let's make it clear that I've really, really tried hard on this door to get it just right. And I've been so sure that I'd get it "any day now" that I've already gotten the insulation and the drywall and the hardiboard (cement drywall for the outside) and sorted out new rocks for the exterior around the door and everything so I'd be ready to spring into action once I had the door all set.
Hasn't quite worked out that way, dang it.
Since my last update
, in which I properly followed the directions and actually glued the frame in (so it wouldn't move around when I opened and closed the doors--that seemed bad), I have been working on getting the doors back in. The left hand door
was easy-peasy and with a bit of adjusting and tweaking (and continual measuring for level every chance I got) and such I got it set in there perfect
. That puppy is everything
it should be....tight against the weatherstripping, even edge around the gap between the door and the frame, opens and closes easily. It is vertical all around, front and back, left and right, up and down.
The right-hand door continued to present problems however. Just put into the frame where it belonged it was sitting about a half inch (1.5cm for those of a metric persuasion) too low.....the bottom barely cleared the threshold at all, and the top overlapped the other door by a good half inch. I spent the next three hours of the afternoon tweaking and adjusting the frame, adding spacers and even another set screw to allow for a different adjustment angle, etc. The very best I could do with everything cinched up (and it not looking at all right around the frame from the inside) was to get it closing properly -- but maintaining that annoying half inch gap along the top. It would barely touch the weatherstripping on the inactive (left hand) door too....it just wasn't right. I measured and checked level every which way, was able to make some local changes that helped a bit but looked wrong when viewed from the inside, took all the blocking out and re-did it twice...it just didn't help.
So I took some down time, played a couple of turns of Empire Deluxe (great old turn based strategy game) while letting it mull around in my brain. And finally decided....
...the frame was right. The hinges are set about 1/2 inch too low.
Now let me make sure folks understand--I measured everything. Checked level everywhere. Checked square and fit and clearance every chance I could get. But there was no way around it....those hinges just aren't right.
So to verify this I pulled together some scrap lumber I've got so I had a 1/2" (1.5cm) stand for the door to "sit" on, took it off its hinges and walked it onto the temporary stand. Then I carefully fit it into the door frame.
Fit like a glove. No gappage, good spacing all around the door between it and the frame, reasonably tight (as one can get) on the bottom against the threshold (the sweeps there are adjustable for just this reason).
There's a tiny bit of work to be done to make it perfect.....it rubs slightly on the arch right where the set screw is so I'll probably have to tighten that.
But I think this is what needs to be done. Right now I've got it bolted into place; tomorrow I'll go get some thin wood shims to fill in the existing hinge cuts and such. Hopefully by next weekend I'll be able to cut some new hinge setbacks and get this puppy properly into place.
Honestly I think they screwed up the hinges...but either way I've got a way forward. It's a race against time now to get this sealed up before winter, but I'm trying!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|The door before I lifted it, after I did everything I could think of. Note the gap along the top of the right hand door.||
|The door AFTER the uplift, snug as a bug. |