In a couple of of ways, both stemming from the brick a.k.a. rock wall that excavator Kyle has run into towards the bottom of our quarry. The layer is just too tough to remove with a bucket on the trackhoe. So he is looking for a hydraulic hammer. But that is proving difficult and very expensive to obtain and rent. I called the other excavator that I had looked to for a quote, and he seemed very willing at first to provide one out of his inventory. But that was this morning and as of this evening no more communication. So he may have decided to renege on his earlier gesture. That then leads us to blasting. Kyle has a couple of contacts if they are still in the business. But anyway we look at it, more time and more money. Not fun to think of.
On a better note, I bought a log splitter yesterday. Figured we'd recoup half the cost this coming winter on the firewood we would be buying. Already split two months worth of wood. Have three more to go.
And yesterday as I went to Santa Fe to buy the splitter, I stopped into the geo company to drop off samples of soil and rock for them to review and hopefully reduce the lateral pressure figure so the engineer can reduce the current design.
Also stopped at the permit office and learned that the plumbing inspector had rejected my application because this is a commercial building. What???!!! How can they be so ignorant? Of course he wasn't available to talk to as he was in a class. Yes I think he needs a bit of education! As I was discussing the situation at the desk, another inspector came out as he overheard. Not that I was loud - I wasn't. It's just a small office.
As I explained what we were building and why this was no way a commercial project, I had a residential building permit etc, he looked things over, went to his boss, and came back saying they will classify as a residence. Well thank you! That is exactly what it is! So now it goes back to the first fellow for him to actually review the plans.
Also checked on the electrical permit. I'm #10 in line. Will be another week or two. Good thing we have time.
Met with the concrete contractor to go over his discussion he had with the engineer and to discuss a few things in the general project. He was ready to start in a week, but with the issues of rock removal, I've pushed him back.
Login to Reply