So Saturday I got the mast up for the new service, using 2" conduit. I run to HD to take back several expensive fittings and pick up the 4-0 four conductor cable all 56 feet of it. I'm using 17 feet for the service entrance and the rest thru the main breaker outside and into the house. While there, I happened to run into an electrician who set me straight on the requirements for the mast. The EMT conduit I used could only be used if I had the main wire from the utility pole attached directly to the house. Since I was putting it above the roof, and the attachment would now be to the mast instead of the house, I needed to use the twice as expensive heavy pipe. So do I place the service back below the roof or redo with the heavy wall pipe?
Login to Reply
In the end, there was a reason I had chosen to get it above the roof and I stuck with it. Got it wired up and started drilling holes through the brick, and the ceiling joists in the house to run the line over to the inside breaker panel. The wires are sheathed with a plastic jacket that holds all of them together like it does with Romex cable. The difference is this stuff weighs about a pound per foot, and each of the individual wires are stiff as all get out since they are thick as your finger. Wrap them together and you get a bend radius approaching a hundred yards - or so it seems. It took a Herculean effort and a pry bar to get it bent into the areas I needed to go through. But I finally got it to the breaker box and attached to the terminals Monday evening. But - not to be able to complete anything- I suddenly realized- why not in the 6 months prior - that my thought of putting the new service in the same place as the old, puts it behind the fence we put up. I mean the fence was staring at me the whole danged time!! And I was too absorbed to even notice it. I've been trying to get hold of the power company and see if they still need it to be out from behind fences.- I am hoping that with new meters, they just read from the road and that I can leave it where it is. But if not, I'll have to move it over three feet. Not the worst job to do, and since everything is already been cut and fitted, and you always do something in a fraction of the time the second time around, it's not the end of the world, but- I have soooo many other things I could put that time to.
Sunday, Todd and the girls made great headway on the fence, nearly finishing it. They probably would have except for a tree stump that was in the way of one of the posts. Funny how if you tried to hit that mark, you'd miss. But don't try and you hit it dead on. So they have to move the post and add another one. But darkness and fatigue were fast approaching and they stopped. Todd and Cassidy can work on finishing, and try their hand at making the gates while we are gone for a few days. They have come a long way in their abilities and the work on the fence was another example. I think they can figure out from the instructions on how to make the gates and set them.
Lastly, Todd and I set the foam shower pans last night so I could set the drains and connect them to the lines in further prep for finishing the plumbing and getting inspected. Two of them went OK. The master unit was a pain. As the floor was not level, even though we added and jacked up the joists, I had to add about 5/8" height to one side, which of course means sloping that to normal thickness on the other. Latex modified thin set has very weird plastic rheology when you try to spread it in such a thick layer. In the end, I think we did pretty good. It now has several days to set before we need to move around it. With the temps being on the cool side, it will need that time.