Well it was an interesting week with just the one charge controller (my second having blown up after the move earlier this week) but the system did well.
Today was the day for us to finish up the work we'd started last week by getting the generator moved to the new pad I'd built for it. I confess I'm not entirely happy with the pad as I think in retrospect I would have preferred to pour a solid concrete one, but given the slope of the hill that was impractical. I settled for a double wall of concrete blocks, filled with rebar and concrete and pea gravel inside for the generator itself to rest on.
The move took a bit of doing as I had more digging out of the existing generator supports than I thought I would, and even then Solar LeRoy and I barely got it under the edge of the new shed to the pad. Not so much because it was heavy but because we didn't have very good tools with which to move it. When we put the generator in place a couple of years back we used rebar threaded through the lifting holes, but since I thoughfully used all of the rebar in the building of the shed there wasn't much left to use. We did find a single long piece after a bit of looking around, so together with some 2x2's for rails and judicious lifting of the generator we eventually got it in place.
Once we got it moved I worked on running conduit for the lines while Solar LeRoy got the new charge controller hooked up and running. When we activated things it didn't blow up (yay!) so we called it good!
Very, very happy today.
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|The generator sitting all happy and pretty in its new location. It'll stay pretty dry here too, which I'm sure will come in handy from time to time.|