We have not made much progress due to the weather. It's been horrible. If we're not fighting super cold temperatures than it's snowing! Now it's April and it's still in the 30's and 40' and RAINING! We're located in the Midwest (northern Missouri) and yes we're the ones that decided to live here and are fully aware of the seasons, but this year has been ridiculous. We're ready for a break from it all! Well... actually, we did take a break from it for a while. We spent part of February in Florida. Boy, you guys down there have it rough. All that warm weather and sunshine, can't imagine how you get anything done. We went to the builder show in Orlando and while there had to hit all the attractions: Disney, Universal, Sea World and of our favorite, Discovery Cove. What a great time! It was nice to feel the warmth of the sun again. Temperatures were in the 80's when we were there, 75 the day we left, arriving home to a balmy 5 degree's and, you guessed it, snow! Maybe we’ll retire to Florida. Even the 5-year old has had enough. I'll never forget a few days before we left the questions from the backseat on the way to school: "Mommy, is there snow in Florida?" I replied, "no". Which was meet with a booming, "GOOD!"
The builder show was great. Tons of vendors with far too many products to see. Great place for ideas. Next year's show will be in Las Vegas and we've already decided to go back. Figured there is not as many attractions and since we don't have any money left we shouldn't have a problem staying out of the casino (we'll see).
We have been waiting on the weather to break for what seems like FOREVER now. All we have managed to get completed is the insulation. They came back and finished, touching up the areas I wasn't impressed with. I've had four to five drywall estimates done with several of them coming in around 5k. Which I think is too high. Since we are not on a timeline I am waiting them out. Construction is slowing down in the area and subs need the work, which to me means prices should be coming down. I had an installation crew come out and give me a list of board sizes I need and estimate for installation labor. This was considerably less than the quotes received. $1,200 for installation, the materials added to just under $1,200. This is the route we are going to go. I am going to re-measure and estimate the number of boards needed, the installed figures seem high to me and I want to ensure I am only purchasing materials for my project -- not any others they are working on. Now, if only we could get a break from this rain and cold. The cold is not the bigger issue. We are on acreage, and to get the delivery of the drywall we need the ground to dry out so the truck won't sink. I'm keeping my figures crossed for next week. Sorry to anyone out there that needs the rain... we'd just like a short break from it, possibly 6 months or so... Hope to have more to update everyone on soon. I can report that the new baby will be here before the guest house is done. No name yet.
Login to Reply