The foam insulation is going in. The extreme cold weather we had held them back a bit; we do not have heat hooked up yet, and they needed the temperature to be 40 or higher for a few days. We went with the spray-in open-cell foam. Hope to recover the additional cost through the energy savings. I think the crew got a little tired, frustrated or overcome by the fumes toward the end. It took them three days to spray our small space. The living area is only 850 sq. ft. but the full basement ceiling had to be insulated and the basement down walls. Plus, the entire ceiling on the main level is vaulted, so they had to do it too.
We have one cold wall on the stairway from the basement We installed drywall on one side so the other could be sprayed -- they forgot to spay it. I think they just wanted to get out of there and overlooked it. They said they would be back next week to spray the wall and cut down some areas of overspray that will need to be drywalled. They will also be touching up some areas on the basement ceiling. The joists are 10" and the foam is supposed to be an average of 5" to get the R-value required. They got a little sloppy and 1/2 of the joist has 10" in it and the other 1/2 has about 3". Not too happy with this and expect it to be corrected.
Other than the few areas to fix, we are insulated and even without heat, it's warmer inside. Warmer than the 20 degrees outside anyway. Pictures to come.
Login to Reply